Dear Dr. Ronald and Dr. Peter,
I have a 4 core laptop, and I am using 'Simfactory' command to run the par file.
I have tested both of your suggestions. The addition of  "--cores=2 --num-threads=1" gives me the attached error while the "--cores=4 --num-threads=2"
option gives, "Error: Too many nodes specified: nodes=2 (maxnodes is 1)
Aborting Simfactory".

Thanks
Best,
KS
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:29 PM <users-request@einsteintoolkit.org> wrote:
Send Users mailing list submissions to
        users@einsteintoolkit.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        users-request@einsteintoolkit.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
        users-owner@einsteintoolkit.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Users digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. TAT/ Slab Error (KARIMA SHAHZAD)
   2. Re: TAT/ Slab Error (Peter Diener)
   3. Agenda for Thursday's Meeting (users@einsteintoolkit.org)
   4. Re: TAT/ Slab Error (Roland Haas)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 17:41:04 +0000
From: KARIMA SHAHZAD <02141911015@student.qau.edu.pk>
Subject: [Users] TAT/ Slab Error
To: "users@einsteintoolkit.org" <users@einsteintoolkit.org>
Message-ID:
        <DB7PR07MB5435B609DAF0209B60980C8E8CA40@DB7PR07MB5435.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hello there,

Here is the error attached I encountered while evolving black holes binary. The work-around I guess is to increase the number of processes (if I am not wrong), but I am not quite sure how to do that. I need some help to get around this issue.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
KS

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/attachments/20210118/64c8b97d/attachment-0001.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: bbhHr.err
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1075 bytes
Desc: bbhHr.err
Url : http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/attachments/20210118/64c8b97d/attachment-0001.obj

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 14:19:02 -0600 (CST)
From: Peter Diener <diener@cct.lsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Users] TAT/ Slab Error
To: KARIMA SHAHZAD <02141911015@student.qau.edu.pk>
Cc: "users@einsteintoolkit.org" <users@einsteintoolkit.org>
Message-ID: <alpine.LSU.2.20.2101181408440.2879@yvahk-8u91.fhfr>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Karima,

Yes, that parameter file requires at least 2 mpi processes to run.

You seem to have submitted using simfactory and ended up running on 1
mpi process awith 2 openmp threads. If you instead do something like

simfactory/bin/sim run bbhHr --cores=2 --num-threads=1

if you're on a workstation that doesn't use a queueing system or

simfactory/bin/sim submit bbhHr --cores=2 --num-threads=1

if you're on a cluster. This should give you 2 mpi processes running on
1 openmp thread each. You might have to add other options to simfactory
if you did so in your original run.

Cheers,

   Peter

On Monday 2021-01-18 11:41, KARIMA SHAHZAD wrote:

>Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:41:04
>From: KARIMA SHAHZAD <02141911015@student.qau.edu.pk>
>To: "users@einsteintoolkit.org" <users@einsteintoolkit.org>
>Subject: [Users] TAT/ Slab Error
>
>Hello there,?
>
>Here is the error attached I encountered while evolving black holes binary.
>The work-around I guess is to increase the number of processes (if I am not
>wrong), but I am not quite sure how to do that. I need some help to get
>around this issue.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Best regards,
>KS
>
>
>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:18:01 -0600
From: users@einsteintoolkit.org
Subject: [Users] Agenda for Thursday's Meeting
To: users@einsteintoolkit.org
Message-ID: <E1l1buT-009sDh-Ev@ekohaes8>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ANSI_X3.4-1968"

Please update the Wiki with agenda items for Thursday's meeting. Thanks!

https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/meeting_agenda

--The Maintainers


------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:17:32 -0600
From: Roland Haas <rhaas@illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: [Users] TAT/ Slab Error
To: KARIMA SHAHZAD <02141911015@student.qau.edu.pk>
Cc: "users@einsteintoolkit.org" <users@einsteintoolkit.org>
Message-ID: <20210118161732.71c09b22@8992d193.ncsa.illinois.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hello Karima,

> Here is the error attached I encountered while evolving black holes
> binary. The work-around I guess is to increase the number of
> processes (if I am not wrong), but I am not quite sure how to do
> that. I need some help to get around this issue.
Assuming you use simulation factory you need to pass options to make
sure it creates multiple MPI processes. The auto-detection code tends
to choose a number of threads equal to the the number of cores on your
laptop and and a single MPI rank.

Eg if you have a 4 core laptop then you have to use:

./simfactory/bin/sim submit testrun01 --cores 4 --num-threads 2
--parfile ...

which uses a total of 4 cores and starts 2 threads per MPI rank so that
you end up with 4 / 2 = 2 MPI ranks each of which uses 2 threads.

Similarly on clusters, the basic idea is to set --num-threads so that
there are more than 1 MPI rank started (ie --num-threads is larger than
the value for --cores or --procs [which are synonyms for each other]).

If not using simulation factory you have to manually use mpirun and
OMP_NUM_THREADS. Eg:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=2

mpirun -np 2 /home/karima/simulations/bbhHr/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim
-L 3 /home/karima/simulations/bbhHr/output-0000/BBHHigherRes.par

which starts 2 MPI ranks each will use 2 OpenMP threads.

Yours,
Roland

--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/attachments/20210118/78ab7576/attachment-0001.bin

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users


End of Users Digest, Vol 130, Issue 18
**************************************