On 30 May 2013, at 17:31, Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:I suggest to disable ~/.cactus/config, at least when Simfactory is used.Do you mean that SimFactory should abort if it is there, or that we should ask people not to use .cactus/config? People might not remember that they have it there, especially as it is a hidden directory.-erikOn Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
Hi,If there is a ~/.cactus/config file, and you also specify options=… to make, how is Cactus supposed to respond? Does it merge the content of the two files, or take one over the other? I suspect that it is merging them. In that case, I think simfactory should complain very loudly if there is a ~/.cactus/config file, as the options you are using will be a mixture of the optionlist configured for the machine and the one in ~/.cactus/config. I'm still dubious about the benefit of having ~/.cactus/config. I think it is used rarely enough by the main developers that it probably isn't tested well, and issues like this tend to get overlooked.One example of where this causes confusion is if you have MPI = … in ~/.cactus/config, and MPI_DIR = in your optionlist. The MPI thorn complains about MPI being set even though it isn't set in your optionlist, so the error message makes no sense to the user.
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/