Hi Roland,


Thank you for your message.

In the local version I have from the docs (UsersGuide.pdf version 4.14 commit cd7e0d57217bec3023091c951729faf982cf5f54), it gets mentioned in paragraph D2.3.2, in the INT case (REAL being the same), 


-----
Here, a <range description> specifies a set of integers, and has one of the
following forms:
*                              # means any integer
-----

Regardless, it seems that the param.ccl from Coordinate still uses just * for h_radial_1.

Rather than my actual par file, here is a more minimal working example (attached par file), derived from the Kerr-Schild_Multipole gallery example. I'm attaching the output file of the simulation. Note that a test without radial stretching did run properly - and so does a run with stretching when the range in param.ccl is *:* .

For these tests, I made a fresh installation of the toolkit on the cluster (Deucalion), with the versions of GetComponents and the thornlist indicated at https://einsteintoolkit.org/download.html (in particular, !DEFINE ET_RELEASE = ET_2025_05). I've just commented out some thorns (typically CarpetX related). I am attaching the config file and thornlist, if it can be insightful. I can provide the log files containing the output of "make config" and "make" commands if needed.

Best,

Jordan





From: Roland Haas <rhaas@mail.ubc.ca>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2026 15:15
To: Jordan Nicoules via Users
Cc: Jordan Nicoules
Subject: Re: [Users] Range error setting parameter, on cluster
 

CUIDADO: Email de um sistema externo. Cuidado com links, anexos e pedidos de dados/senhas.
CAUTION: Email from an external system. Be careful with links, attachments, and requests for data/passwords.

Hello Jordan,

> In the param.ccl of the Coordinate thorn, the range of this parameter
> appears as
>
>   * :: "negative turns off stretching"
> Changing the * range statement to *:* makes it work on the cluster.
>
> Is this some known issue? Is there something specific to look for, in
> the Cactus configuration for instance? So far, I haven't thoroughly
> tested ET versions, different clusters etc, but I can try to provide
> more information if needed.

Hmm, the docs

https://einsteintoolkit.org/usersguide/UsersGuide.html#x1-70000

are not explicit about this.

I have certainly used it like this:

--8<--
Coordinates::radial_stretch = "yes"
Coordinates::stretch_rmin_1 = $outermost_detector + 2.*$initial_orbital_period
Coordinates::stretch_rmax_1 = $outermost_detector + 4.*$initial_orbital_period
Coordinates::h_radial_1     = 4 * $hr
--8<--

in files of my own (with $hr having been set before).

Can you attach the full parameter file maybe?

Yours,
Roland

--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .