It is surprising to see how many such frameworks are available. I'd suggest that we create a wiki page that briefly describes them, and points to instructions for downloading and examples.

Incidentally, we are also developing such a framework here at Perimeter. The basic idea is to have a generic way of describing the data in a simulation, introducing concepts such as discretizations of a manifold, bases for the tangent space, tensor types, fields, etc. <https://github.com/eschnett/SimulationIO>. We (i.e. Jonah Miller) are now testing and benchmarking it against real-world data, developing a yt <http://yt-project.org> reader in the process.

The SimulationIO library is supposed to be used directly for writing and reading data from Cactus. Currently, that hasn't been implemented yet, and so there is a converter from Carpet output that either collects all the metadata (with external links to the original datasets) or creates a single output file. Obviously the file format is still based on HDF5 -- the main advantage is that the metadata are much easier to access and interpret than having to loop over the components and parsing their names.

I assume Jonah will describe this at the Einstein Toolkit.

-erik


On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Federico Guercilena <guercilena@th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to point out also my python library/script called "rugutils". This one started off inspired by David's scidata (and pygraph), but has developed into a set of tools to look in a quick and hassle-free way at Carpet data. It's written in python 3.5

https://bitbucket.org/fguercilena/rugutils
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Analysis_and_post-processing

Federico

2016-05-17 19:44 GMT+02:00 Roland Haas <rhaas@aei.mpg.de>:
Hello Frank, Michael,

@Michael: both of what Frank or David describe should work. If you know
how to compile the VisIt reader yourselv, you can also try the copy of
CarpetHDF5 at https://bitbucket.org/rhaas80/carpethdf5 either the
"multifile" branch (which is the default one that has all features) or
the "for_VisIt" branch which has fewer features and is what I wanted at
one point propose for inclusion in VisIt. Both will let you
create .visit files listing your hdf5 files and VisIt will treat them a
a single database. You will have to create .visit files that look like
this:

!NBLOCKS 3
output-0000/rho.file_0.h5
output-0000/rho.file_1.h5
output-0000/rho.file_2.h5
output-0001/rho.file_0.h5
output-0001/rho.file_1.h5
output-0001/rho.file_2.h5

for a 3 process run and similar for runs with more processes. You can probably (I have not tested this) also list both rho and eps:

!NBLOCKS 3
output-0000/rho.file_0.h5
output-0000/rho.file_1.h5
output-0000/rho.file_2.h5
output-0000/eps.file_0.h5
output-0000/eps.file_1.h5
output-0000/eps.file_2.h5
output-0001/rho.file_0.h5
output-0001/rho.file_1.h5
output-0001/rho.file_2.h5
output-0001/eps.file_0.h5
output-0001/eps.file_1.h5
output-0001/eps.file_2.h5

possibly you have to set NBLOCKS to 6 (2*3) for this, though I have not tested
this either.

@Frank:
> Also, in case you have an old version of VisIt, you might need to enable
> the use of soft links in the VisIt Carpet reader. I am currently not
> sure if that change made it back upstream yet. The corresponding patch
> is:
>
> Index: avtCarpetHDF5FileFormat.C
> ===================================================================
> --- avtCarpetHDF5FileFormat.C   (revision 57)
> +++ avtCarpetHDF5FileFormat.C   (working copy)
> @@ -1044,7 +1044,7 @@
>     sprintf(fullname, "%s%s%s", rootname, rootname[strlen(rootname)-1]=='/' ? "" : "/",member_name);
>
>     // we are interested in datasets only - skip anything else
> -   H5Gget_objinfo (group_id, member_name, 0, &object_info);
> +   H5Gget_objinfo (group_id, member_name, 1, &object_info);
>     if (object_info.type != H5G_DATASET)
>     {
>        if (object_info.type == H5G_GROUP)
As far as I can tell this code change has not even made it into the ET
maintained copy of the reader:
https://svn.cactuscode.org/VizTools/CarpetHDF5/

where if this does not cause any other problems I think it would be
welcome as well.

Yours,
Roland



--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users




--
Federico Guercilena
Institut für Theoretische Physik
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
Max-von-Laue-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Telephone: +49 69 798 47887
Email: guercilena[at]th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users




--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/