I am forwarding some queries of mine on MPI to this list in hopes of getting some help. Thanks much.
Comer

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Users] help/advice in getting optionlist working
To: Ian Hinder <ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de>


Ok,  I now see that NoMPI is claimed to be disabled if MPI is found.  Since my experience seemed to be that no mpi was found, I would like to know what to do in order to  find where mpi presence is tested for in the sim build process and what I need to do to make sure that mpi is found on the OSC system. As I mentioned earlier, MPI is clearly available (have used it in several other projects but not yet einsteintoolkit).  The option list file I have used makes explicit mention of various env variables which indicate where to care and feed the system's mpi.  Please help.

Thanks.

Comer


On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ian,


That is just the version of Cactus - what about theI rest of the ET?  i.e. which thornlist did you use to download everything?

 Yesterday after posting my question I took another look at einsteintoolkit.th which was what I used when I downloaded the tool kit on May 26.  Lo and behold it has the following section:

.
.
.
CactusTest/TestTimers
CactusTest/TestTypes

#CactusUtils/Accelerator
CactusUtils/Formaline
CactusUtils/NaNChecker
CactusUtils/Nice
CactusUtils/NoMPI  <<<<<<<<<<<< !!Note?
#CactusUtils/OpenCLRunTime
CactusUtils/TerminationTrigger
CactusUtils/TimerReport

CactusWave/IDScalarWave
CactusWave/IDScalarWaveC
.
.
.

Thus, perhaps for reasons not at all clear the noted inclusion of NoMPI gets in the way of  'have MPI' evaluating to true?  If this is the case, then commenting it would then implicitly let the build know that MPI _is_ wanted?? 

One would think that MPI would be wanted by default on any computing environment that one would want to do real computation on, with the exception of one's laptop or desktop I guess.

Thanks.

Comer