Gabriele Bozzola,
   thank you very much for sharing this new and very interesting tool! I'm also interested in attending a presentation about it.

Cheers,
Bruno

Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 06:18 Gabriele Bozzola <bozzola.gabriele@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hello,

I developed a new package to analyze Einstein Toolkit simulations, kuibit [0,1].
kuibit is a Python3.6+ code that I built from scratch following the same design 
(and in various instances, implementation details too) of Wolfgang Kastaun's 
PostCactus. 

kuibit provides high-level data types to easily work with grid functions, time 
and frequency series, gravitational waves, and so on. It also has readers to 
effortlessly access simulation data with full support for HDF5 and ASCII output 
(1D, 2D, 3D grid data, scalar data, reductions, horizon data, ...). You can find 
a reasonably comprehensive list of features in the documentation [2] or a 
high-level summary in the frontpage of the docs [3].

One of the main reasons I wrote this code is for other people to use it.
Our group (University of Arizona) is a young one and we don't have any sophisticated
toolchain to analyze simulation data. Without suitable tools, post-processing
simulations can be a daunting task for those that are new to the Einstein Toolkit.

Given that I want other people to use kuibit, I made the effort to make the code user 
and developer-friendly. For users, there is documentation [4] with examples and 
small tutorials. Also, the package is on PyPI so it can be easily installed and updated.
For developers, the entire codebase has unit tests and continuous integration [5], 
there are extensive comments, and the style of the code is rather verbose 
to help developers understand what is going on. The continuous integration also
lints the code, performs static analysis, and generates the documentation,
reducing the maintenance costs. 

kuibit takes care of all the low-level details need to deal with simulation data, so
it greatly lowers the entry barrier in using the Einstein Toolkit. I believe that this, 
along with the care I put in making the code accessible to other developers, 
makes kuibit a good candidate for inclusion in the Einstein Toolkit.

The main problem with kuibit is that it is a new code: regardless of all the
tests I wrote, there will be bugs, unergonomic interfaces, and performance issues.
kuibit needs to be tested with several real-world projects and cross-checked with
other codes.

I am happy to give a short introduction to kuibit during a weekly call if there's 
interest. In the meantime, the code is available here:
https://github.com/Sbozzolo/kuibit

Best regards,
Gabriele Bozzola

[0] https://github.com/Sbozzolo/kuibit
[1] https://github.com/Sbozzolo/kuibit#what-is-a-kuibit
[2] https://sbozzolo.github.io/kuibit/features.html
[3] https://sbozzolo.github.io/kuibit/#summary-of-features
[4] https://sbozzolo.github.io/kuibit/
[5] https://github.com/Sbozzolo/kuibit/actions
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users


--

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics
University of Milano-Bicocca
Piazza della Scienza 3
20126 Milano
Italy

email: bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321

web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't
----------------------------------------------------------------------