Hi Ian,

You asked: "By the way, which tutorial or example are you following?"


I forgot to answer this.  I am using the one at https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users.

Also yesterday I ran the static_tov test using all four cores and the test ran a little faster than it ran without explicit mention of the number of cores per node. Here is the explicity usage:

./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov --parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=1 --ppn-used=4 --walltime=16:0:0

DId I use the options appropriately?

Thanks again for your help.

Comer



On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de> wrote:

On 22 May 2015, at 21:16, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ian,

I have done a build first commenting out CARPETIOHDF5 in the thorns file.  This time it builds to completion. 

I have tried running the static_tov test. But since CarpetIOHDF5 thorn was disabled in the build, the test aborts.  Is there a test which does not need CarpetIOHDF5, i.e. uses a different IO?

Hi Comer,

Looking at the parameter file, I don't see why it needs the CarpetIOHDF5 thorn; it doesn't seem to do anything with it!  So you should be able to remove CarpetIOHDF5 from the ActiveThorns line at the top of static_tov.par.  i.e. replace

ActiveThorns = "CarpetIOASCII CarpetIOScalar CarpetIOHDF5 CarpetIOBasic"

with

ActiveThorns = "CarpetIOASCII CarpetIOScalar CarpetIOBasic"

I just tested this, and it works without that thorn.

Can you let me know whether the error you got when you include CarpetIOHDF5 in the thornlist is that same as before, or if it's the one that Roberto got?

By the way, which tutorial or example are you following?



Comer

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de> wrote:

On 22 May 2015, at 18:41, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ian,

I have downloaded a new version from scratch of Hilbert and have checked that I have installed all recommended macports, to wit:

ComerMacProRetina:~ comerduncan$ port installed pkgconfig gcc49 fftw-3 gsl jpeg zlib hdf5  openmpi openssl
The following ports are currently installed:
  fftw-3 @3.3.4_1 (active)
  fftw-3 @3.3.4_1+universal
  gcc49 @4.9.2_1 (active)
  gsl @1.16_3 (active)
  gsl @1.16_3+gcc46
  hdf5 @1.8.13_0+cxx+gcc46
  hdf5 @1.8.14_0+cxx+fortran+gfortran
  hdf5 @1.8.14_0+cxx+gcc46
  hdf5 @1.8.15_0+cxx+fortran+gfortran (active)
  hdf5 @1.8.15_0+cxx+gcc46
  jpeg @9a_1 (active)
  openmpi @1.7.5_3 (active)
  openssl @1.0.1j_0
  openssl @1.0.1j_0+universal
  openssl @1.0.2_0+universal
  openssl @1.0.2a_0
  openssl @1.0.2a_0+universal (active)
  pkgconfig @0.28_0 (active)
  zlib @1.2.8_0
  zlib @1.2.8_0+universal (active)

I then put in the new version of detect.pl that Frank recommended.  When I build using the osx-macports config file, I still (today!) get a crash before the build completes.  I am sort of at a loss about what to do further. I could completely nuke macports and reinstall all, which will take quite a while, but can do that if there is a good chance that it will help.  

Hi Comer,

Is the compilation error the same as before, or is it now different?  I am assuming that you are doing a full recompile each time, by deleting the configuration from configs.  If you are getting the same error as Roberto, you could try his suggested fix (editing the includes) or mine (changing the CXXFLAGS) from the other emails.  

Do you have some recommendations of other things to try before the nuke option?

When I was testing, installing the required packages from MacPorts on a completely empty macports tree took about half an hour, I think, comparable to the ET build itself.