[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #105: fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches.

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Sun Nov 21 21:28:45 CST 2010

#105: fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
branches.
  Reporter:  knarf          |       Owner:  eric9
      Type:  defect         |      Status:  new
 Component:  GetComponents  |     Version:  ET_2010_11
Resolution:                 |    Keywords:
Changes (by knarf):

 * cc: ian.hinder@… (removed)
  * priority:  blocker => minor
  * version:  => ET_2010_11
  * milestone:  ET_2010_11 => ET_2011_06

Old description:

> Using the current ET_2010_11 GetComponents with
> https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/manifest/branches/ET_2010_11/einsteintoolkit.th
> gives the error message:
>
> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
> branches.
>
> for three repositories:
>
>   Unable to process KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD
>   Unable to process McLachlan/doc
>   Unable to process Carpet/doc
>
> However, they are the first of each git-block, so this seems to be a
> general git problem. I don't get anything looking like ET_2010_11 in
> .git/config, so I assume switching to the branch didn't work. Either this
> is a problem in GetComponents, or the branches are really not there (how
> can I check this?)

New description:

 Trying to checkout from a non-existing git branch gives the following
 error message:

   fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
 branches.

 GetComponents gives an error, but only for the first link into such a
 repository, and the directories and links are also there after the
 checkout - but not of any other than the master branch. If someone
 overlooks the error at the end, a full and possibly working configuration
 could be built, but it would use the wrong version of the git repo.
 GetComponents should not checkout repositories if the given branch was not
 found, even with error message at the end. (updating by rerunning
 GetComponents later doesn't show this difference in braches as well, only
 indicating that all is there and well).

 It would be nice (but not important, if too complicated), if a better
 message could be given in this case.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/105#comment:2>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit