[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #971: global-early, loop-local routines in PostRegrid cause access to elements outside of a vector capacity

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Jul 4 21:17:50 CDT 2012

#971: global-early, loop-local routines in PostRegrid cause access to elements
outside of a vector capacity
  Reporter:  rhaas   |       Owner:  eschnett
      Type:  defect  |      Status:  new
 Component:  Carpet  |     Version:
Resolution:          |    Keywords:

Comment (by eschnett):

 Yes, if initialising in meta mode, there will be no interpolation. One can
 recompose all grid functions at once, and call postregrid only afterwards.

 No, I would say that global-early is not okay in postregrid. One could
 allow routines that do not access grid functions, but this is difficult to
 ensure; e.g. reduction, interpolation, and I/O is also not possible. To
 avoid problems, I would forbid global-early generally. (But this is open
 for discussion.) Having a "global mode" that does not allow accessing grid
 functions even indirectly is like introducing yet another mode ("weak
 global mode"?), and this would be too confusing. At the moment, I rather
 hope that the schedule can be re-written without a weak global mode.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/971#comment:4>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>