[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1170: ExtrenalLibraries handle XXX_DIR XXX_INC_DIRS and XXX_LIB_DIRS incosistently

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue Nov 6 20:47:49 CST 2012

#1170: ExtrenalLibraries handle XXX_DIR XXX_INC_DIRS and XXX_LIB_DIRS
incosistently
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  rhaas                  |       Owner:
      Type:  defect                 |      Status:  new
 Component:  EinsteinToolkit thorn  |     Version:
Resolution:                         |    Keywords:  ExternalLibraries
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by rhaas):

 Well yes. I have to admit that the cause for this was the C interface to
 LAPACK which I would have expected to provide an include file. However at
 least MKL has no likely named include file (which very much surprises me).
 Does the C interface to LAPACK provide no include file? I did not use this
 myself, just encountered it when helping out a local user (Luke Roberts)
 who wanted to use the LAPACK routines in MKL from C and had problems
 getting the compiler to find {{{#include <mkl.h>}}} (admittedly that is a
 mkl include file and not a LAPACK include file). I admit I never, ever
 used LAPACK before (C or Fortran interface).

 I am not saying that the interface makes no sense for any library
 separately. I wanted to point out that something (namely the set of
 options and their meaning) that from a user perspective looks like a
 uniform interface that should act similar for all ExternalLibraries (since
 they all do the same thing: provide access to some externally developed
 library) does in fact take different options with different meanings for
 different libraries.

 I fully agree that this is not pressing, but would like to take the
 opportunity of trying to unify this piece of the interface when we unify
 the handling of /usr . Whenever that happens :-)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1170#comment:2>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>