[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1158: ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should change the defaults for HDF5_ENABLE_CXX and HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN to "no".

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue Oct 7 20:01:44 CDT 2014

#1158: ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should change the defaults for HDF5_ENABLE_CXX and
HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN to "no".
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  knarf                  |       Owner:
      Type:  defect                 |      Status:  confirmed
 Component:  EinsteinToolkit thorn  |     Version:  development version
Resolution:                         |    Keywords:
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by knarf):

 Replying to [comment:5 hinder]:
 > I am thinking of new users who try to use the toolkit with codes that
 require Fortran bindings, and get mysterious build failures on laptops or
 workstations running debian or ubuntu because the default optionlists in
 simfactory for those operating systems are different to all others. I
 think it would be better for Cactus to just build the required HDF5 in
 that case.

 A new user that uses other codes requiring Fortran HDF5 probably already
 has an installation featuring it - and if not they could be expected to
 set that variable I believe. The benefit of not requiring the additional
 interfaces by default is that, as has been said, most system libraries
 don't provide them - and requiring them would essentially build the
 bundled HDF5 and not use the system libraries - which is totally
 unnecessary for the ET. HDF5 is one of the libraries that tend to need a
 lot of build time, only dwarfed by boost.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1158#comment:10>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>