[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1518: Parameter parser and CCTK_ParameterSet interpret leading zeros in numbers differently

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Fri Sep 19 08:53:24 CDT 2014

#1518: Parameter parser and CCTK_ParameterSet interpret leading zeros in numbers
differently
  Reporter:  rhaas   |       Owner:  sbrandt
      Type:  defect  |      Status:  review
 Component:  Cactus  |     Version:  development version
Resolution:          |    Keywords:

Comment (by hinder):

 No, I don't.  The ET tests are not exhaustive, and while they are useful
 for detecting some problems, they should not be used as evidence that
 something should not be supported.  Cactus is a framework; the Einstein
 Toolkit is just one user of that framework.  Many people use the Cactus
 flesh with thorns which are not in the Einstein Toolkit.  Just because
 something is not used in the toolkit, it doesn't mean it can be changed or
 removed.  If we want to remove the Util_Expression API, we should discuss
 this first, weighing up the pros and cons, evaluating how likely it is
 that people will be affected, announcing the change well in advance (e.g.
 at least one release), and getting a consensus from the Cactus developers
 that this is a good idea.  It's possible that nobody uses it; it is, after
 all, a rather obscure feature.  But the Cactus flesh has a large number of
 users, and a decision like this should not be taken lightly.  Would you
 like to propose that this flesh API is changed, and give arguments for why
 this is good and/or OK?  My own preference would be to implement the old
 functionality (down to the return types and semantics) in terms of the
 new, or to provide a new API in addition to the old one, deprecating the
 old one, if wrapping the new API with the old is not considered feasible.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1518#comment:15>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>