[ET Trac] #2565: compiling PETSc included in the ET fails if "python" executable is missing

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Sep 29 10:30:54 CDT 2021

#2565: compiling PETSc included in the ET fails if "python" executable is missing

 Reporter: Roland Haas
Component:

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Newer versions have the same assumption that a “python” executable exists. Neither one actually assumes it is “python2”, contrary to what I had said above.

So there is no direct need to update anything. Systems without “python” may be Ubuntu or Debian and Ubuntu systems without one of the “python-is-python\[23\]” packages installed. Debian explicitly and knowlingly violates Python’s installation guidelines to force its users to make an explicit choice about which Python to install. See [https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2020/09/msg00030.html](https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2020/09/msg00030.html)

There is no obvious answer on how to patch since the tools that have “python” as their interpreteer in the #! line actually do seem to work with both python2 and python3 \(and least on the Jenkins systems where I just tried this\).

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2565/compiling-petsc-included-in-the-et-fails