[ET Trac] #2628: ADMBase, HydroBase, etc should not set up initial data

Zach Etienne trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Fri Aug 12 10:04:36 CDT 2022

#2628: ADMBase, HydroBase, etc should not set up initial data

 Reporter: Zach Etienne
Component:

Just throwing this into the wind, as I’m pretty confident it’ll be marked WONTFIX. But it is a major longstanding annoyance of mine.

I love the \*Base thorns, as they enforce consistent interfaces between thorns. And we rightfully brag about this.

However, giving them authority to do anything except declare gridfunctions and set the number of timelevels for each is a step too far in my opinion.

Setting initial values of \*Base variables should be the purview of thorns that set up initial data, and that’s it. For example, if one wishes to set Minkowski for certain variables, that should be the purview of a Minkowski ID thorn.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2628/admbase-hydrobase-etc-should-not-set-up