[ET Trac] #2616: Add NRPyEllipticET to the Einstein Toolkit

Anonymous trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Jun 30 08:54:46 CDT 2022

#2616: Add NRPyEllipticET to the Einstein Toolkit

 Reporter:
Component:

NRPyElliptic is a new, hyperbolic relaxation elliptic solver (Assumpcao et al, https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.105.104037). NRPyEllipticET is the associated Einstein Toolkit thorn, which we propose for inclusion.

In its first application, NRPyElliptic sets up conformally flat, binary black hole (BBH) puncture initial data (ID) on a single numerical domain, similar to TwoPunctures. While it is about 6x slower than TwoPunctures, NRPyElliptic requires only about 0.3% of the runtime for a full BBH simulation in the Einstein Toolkit.

As consumers of numerical relativity ID generally already possess expertise in solving hyperbolic PDEs, they will generally find NRPyElliptic easier to tweak and extend than other elliptic solvers. We are actively working to extend NRPyElliptic to solve other types of ID, and these new ID types will be added to the ET thorn.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2616/add-nrpyellipticet-to-the-einstein-toolkit