[ET Trac] #2742: Change Seed_Magnetic_Fields scheduling so it can be used by more thorns

Samuel Cupp trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue Jun 13 16:32:02 CDT 2023

#2742: Change Seed_Magnetic_Fields scheduling so it can be used by more thorns

 Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

Right now, this thorn schedules based on the `ID_converter_ILGRMHD` function, preventing it from being used out-of-the-box by `GRHayLMHD`. I could change the scheduling to explicitly depend on this thorn, but a cleaner solution is to make their scheduling be based on HydroBase’s groups, providing a more consistent interface. As such, I propose that the seeding function be set to run `before HydroBase_Prim2ConInitial`. There’s a similar issue with Seed\_Magnetic\_Fields\_BNS in that it can only be guaranteed to work with `Meudon_Bin_NS`.

Since both thorns should be changed to behave in a similar manner, I propose simply merging them into one. An example of this is in a [PR](https://bitbucket.org/zach_etienne/wvuthorns/pull-requests/14). However, I’m not sure of the best way to handle the deprecation/behavior changes. It might be simpler to just make a new thorn \(possibly in the GRHayL repo\) that provides the combined thorn while keeping the old ones in their current state.

This PR also contains a bug fix for `ID_converter_GiRaFFE` and a very small optional feature for `IllinoisGRMHD` which I can make separately if we decide to make a new thorn instead of changing the existing one.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2742/change-seed_magnetic_fields-scheduling-so