[ET Trac] #2725: Walltime being overwritten to 24 hours

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue May 9 10:39:49 CDT 2023

#2725: Walltime being overwritten to 24 hours

 Reporter: Matthew Cerep
Component: SimFactory

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Not sure if this is a bug or just unexpected behaviour.

Most clusters have a maximum allowed walltime \(often 24 or 48 hours\). Simfactory is aware of the limit \(via the maxwalltime setting in the machine.ini file\) and will automatically split up longer jobs into chained segments of at most maxwalltime length.

You seem to be on the thornyflat cluster where maxwalltime is 168 hours \(see [https://bitbucket.org/simfactory/simfactory2/src/master/mdb/machines/thornyflat.ini#lines-57](https://bitbucket.org/simfactory/simfactory2/src/master/mdb/machines/thornyflat.ini#lines-57)\), so that should actually not limit the walltime to 24 hours

Second, simfactory contains hard-coded, historic, unfortunate, code that will reset the right hand side of the \`TerminationTrigger::max\_walltime\` parameter to the walltime that simfactory was given in its submit command \(or the default value for walltime, which  I do not recall on top of my head\). As far as I know this cannot be turned off \(though I may well be wrong\).

Could you provide the exact simfactory command that you entered, please?

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2725/walltime-being-overwritten-to-24-hours