[ET Trac] #2774: OpenMP Heisenbug with Default Thornfile

José Ferreira trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Fri Feb 9 03:25:02 CST 2024

#2774: OpenMP Heisenbug with Default Thornfile

 Reporter: José Ferreira
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

Comment (by José Ferreira):

I’ve been trying to disable/enable thorns in the compilation procedure to see whether I could get something meaningful.

After disabling Formaline during the compilation and in the par files, the incidence of the Heisenbug reduced significantly.

Whereas before it would happen consistently on the par file that evolved a constant scalar field on Minkowski spacetime, that also ships with the toolkit in the Scalar thorn, meaning that I couldn’t run this simulation at all, now it happens very rarely. I made a Bash script to run the simulation on loop \(just for a single time step\) and it took a number of successful simulations in the order to the dozens to replicate the error.

I would like to stress than the error always took place during the initialization procedure and never during the simulation.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2774/openmp-heisenbug-with-default-thornfile