[Users] Fwd: test suite data files commits to svn

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 19 06:48:41 CDT 2010

Hello all,

>>> I have seen a few Thorns with a lot of test data files committed
>>> to the svn repository. I was wondering if that is really necessary.
>>> Committing only the parameter file that generates all those data
>>> files
>>> seems more natural to me and avoids unnecessary network traffic
>>> whenever
>>> we update the thorns. Besides it is cleaner and easier to spot what
>>> was
>>> really changed/updated. What do you think? Should we adopt as best
>>> practice not committing the data files themselves? and commit only
>>> the
>>> test suite parameter files?
If the concern is only to keep the commit emails small, then one could
set the mime-type property of the files to binary before they are
committed (see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/73797/how-do-i-tell-subversion-to-treat-a-file-as-a-binary-file).

svn propset svn:mime-type application/octet-stream filename.extension

Suversion then no longer includes diffs in the commit emails for this
file. This helps quite a bit when committing testsuite output.