[Users] Initial data documentation

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Apr 20 12:15:24 CDT 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 7:44 , Barry Wardell wrote:

> On 20/04/2010 12:07, Ian Hinder wrote:
>> Maybe the Einstein Toolkit should host web-based documentation for
>> all
>> the thorns in it?
>>
> I think it would be really useful to have web-based HTML documentation
> for everything in the Einstein Toolkit. This should be fairly
> straightforward to create from the LaTeX source. There is a useful
> package called tex4ht which does a pretty good job of converting LaTeX
> to HTML. As an example of how well it can do, I ran it with the
> CactusWave documentation and got quite good output:
> http://www.aei.mpg.de/~barry/documentation.html

This is by far the best latex-to-html conversion I've ever seen.
Before that, I would have said that pdf is the way to go, because it
is impossible to create readable html except for plain text.

Barry, do you want to modify the script in Cactus which builds the
individual thorn guides?  (Look for the ThornDoc and ArrangementDoc
make targets; these eventually lead to independent shell scripts in
lib/sbin that process one thorn or arrangement at a time.)  You would
look whether tex4ht is installed, and if so, would produce html in
addition to pdf.  (These scripts are written in bash; perl would have
been a better choice.)

We will then incorporate this into Cactus, either as separate make
target or together with building the pdf documentation.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/