[Users] Initial data documentation

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at aei.mpg.de
Thu Apr 22 08:34:26 CDT 2010

On 20/04/2010 19:15, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> Barry, do you want to modify the script in Cactus which builds the
> individual thorn guides?  (Look for the ThornDoc and ArrangementDoc
> make targets; these eventually lead to independent shell scripts in
> lib/sbin that process one thorn or arrangement at a time.)  You would
> look whether tex4ht is installed, and if so, would produce html in
> addition to pdf.  (These scripts are written in bash; perl would have
> been a better choice.)
>
> We will then incorporate this into Cactus, either as separate make
> target or together with building the pdf documentation.
Hi Erik,

Attached is a patch for the Cactus makefiles which enables building of
HTML versions of all documentation. It makes use of the two attached
scripts, ThornDocHTML and ArrangmentsDocHTML, which should be in lib/sbin.

The HTML generation uses latex (not pdflatex), so figures must be in ps
format. I have added automatic conversion using pdf2ps in ThornDocHTML
and ArrangementDocHTML. This could also be added to the make targets if
desired. For now, when building the Reference Manual, Users Guide and
Maintainers Guide, you need to manually convert cactusbin2.pdf and
whatever other pdf's there are to ps.

The new make targets added are:
ReferenceManualHTML
UsersGuideHTML
MaintGuideHTML
ThornDocHTML
<config>-ThornDocHTML
ArrangementDocHTML
<arrangement>-ArrangementDocHTML
<thorn>-ThornGuideHTML
ThornGuideHTML

Everything seems to work quite well except for the Reference Guide,
which has formatting problems that seem to be related to the use of
FunctionDescriptionEntry in cactus.sty. I also wasn't able to test the
ThornDocHTML since even regular ThornDoc wasn't working for me.

Regards,
Barry