[Users] HydroBase description

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Apr 27 11:43:27 CDT 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:19 , Bruno Giacomazzo wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Aaryn is right. I have indeed used polytropic units in the past
> (c=G=eos_kappa=1), while for our BNS simulations we usually use
> c=G=M_sun=1. But I have also used units such that c=G=M=1 (being M
> the total mass of the system). When using polytropic/ideal-fluid
> EOSs everything can be easily rescaled by simply changing the value
> of the polytropic constant (and the dynamics would just be the
> same). For realistic EOS the situation is different since I imagine
> the units are just fixed by the EOS and no rescaling is possible.
>
> 	The conversion factor for the magnetic field seems to be correct,
> but it's important to stress that before the conversion one should
> also multiply Bvec by sqrt(4 \pi) (if hydrobase wants to use the
> same convention used in whisky of course).

Yes, we want to use the same convention as Whisky.  And yes, we do
want to define the units that are used, so that there is no confusion
about initial data or analysis methods which may provide or access
HydroBase data, and otherwise may be tempted to use different
conventions.

> 	I think it would be useful to add the references to the Valencia
> formulation for GRHD and GRMHD in the wiki where you define the
> quantities:
>
> 	GRHD: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997ApJ...476..221B
> 	GRMHD: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006ApJ...637..296A

Please do that!  Please add these also to HydroBase's README file.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/