[Users] FW: HydroBase description

Aaryn Tonita atonita at aei.mpg.de
Tue Apr 27 11:53:30 CDT 2010

I believe the best place to have mass and temperature units set is in the
equation of state thorns and to have the magnetic field units set by the
code implementing the particular implementation of the Maxwell equations.

This goes into one of your original questions about whether there were other
dimensions left to specify, but in principle one could measure temperature
using a completely different unit system--for instance taking c=MeV=k_b=1
and using MeV to measure temperature. Since this would only affect the
equation of state thorn (the hydro equations don't see temperature directly)
it wouldn't introduce any inconsistency if one was measuring the density in
units where c=G=M_sun=1. The equation of state thorn would need to do some
internal bookkeeping on the two different unit systems, is all. This would
be useful if one was working internally with some statistical physics
expressions directly so that you would not need to continuously convert the
temperature.

As I see it now, when using the ideal fluid equation of state (or
polytrope), one is free to interpret the units. Always. This is really
unavoidable: there is no microphysical interpretation of kappa or gamma.
This changes when you use a realistic (or a fit) equation of state, the
units would then be specified by the particular thorn which is implementing
the functions needed by EOS_Base.

In short: I believe the units to be best specified in the particular
equation of state thorns.

Cheers,

Aaryn