[Users] Carpet 3d output

Michael Koppitz koppitz at aei.mpg.de
Wed Aug 25 05:22:44 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I made the observation that Carpet's output is quite large compared to the grid structure:

on 100^3 gridpoints per refinement level dumping admbase::metric  (6 gridfunctions) in 3d hdf5

I would expect for 1 ref-level  10^6*6*8b = 48Mb. I got 80Mb.
I assume that is because Carpet also includes x, y, z, and t in the dump,
which brings it to 10 GF's and 80Mb expected.

But for  2 levels I got 250Mb.
For       3 levels I got 450Mb
and for 4 levels I got 620Mb.

This seems much even if I take ghost- and buffer-zones into account.

Am I missing something, or is Carpet doing something  unexpected?

thank you

Michael