[Users] Carpet 3d output

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Aug 25 08:25:55 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Michael Koppitz <koppitz at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I made the observation that Carpet's output is quite large compared to the grid structure:
>
> on 100^3 gridpoints per refinement level dumping admbase::metric  (6 gridfunctions) in 3d hdf5
>
> I would expect for 1 ref-level  10^6*6*8b = 48Mb. I got 80Mb.
> I assume that is because Carpet also includes x, y, z, and t in the dump,
> which brings it to 10 GF's and 80Mb expected.
>
> But for  2 levels I got 250Mb.
> For       3 levels I got 450Mb
> and for 4 levels I got 620Mb.
>
> This seems much even if I take ghost- and buffer-zones into account.
>
> Am I missing something, or is Carpet doing something  unexpected?

If you have a large number of ghost zones, then these require a
surprising amount of memory. This could explain the difference between
48MB and 80 MB.

On the finer levels there will also be buffer zones. These are also
expensive. This may explain the numbers.

You can look at the hdf5 files and check the size of the datasets in
there. There will also be a bit of administrative information in the
hdf5 files, but this should not be that much.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/