[Users] HDF5 and C++

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:15:19 CST 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 12:04:23PM -0500, John Baker wrote:
> 1. Is there a good reason why HDF5 needs the C++ libraries in Cactus?

Out of convenience for people building c++ tools against it. I don't
know of any thorn actually using the c++ bindings.

> 2. Does hdf5 1.8.5 even support the c++ interface?

Yes, I frequently build it. However, as you already stated, c++ bindings
and parallel hdf5 support are not supported together.

> 3. What should we be doing differently to work around these issues?

I the light of discussions on hdf5 lists which describe the c++ bindings
as buggy and not maintained, we should probably not use them in any
code - and also not build them within Cactus.

This of course leaves the users of tools in the cold which still use the
c++ API. At the moment only the Carpet Visit plugin comes to my mind
though - which should be possible to be build against the hdf5 library
within visit itself. Who else uses the c++ hdf5 interface?

Frank