[Users] path expansion in git/darcs/hg repositories

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Jun 9 12:19:54 CDT 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 11:37 , Eric Seidel wrote:

>> No, the example (and code that I have, but not in the Einstein
>> Toolkit)
>> is for SoundSpeed and Bremsstrahlung being full git repositories
>> which
>> are both located in a Scotch folder (an arrangement of thorns that
>> work
>> with Whisky). With the current hard-coded assumtions on the directory
>> layout of git/darcs/hg repositories I think I need the ../$2 in
>> REPO_PATH. Since both SoundSpeed and Bremsstrahlung are full
>> repositories I would also need $2 in the URL. I am not sure if
>> having two
>> $2 is confusing, both refer to the second part of the CHECKOUT item.
>> Having $2 in the URL would allow users to avoid having to replicate
>> the
>> whole TARGET..CHECKOUT stanza for each git repository that is part of
>> the arrangement.
>
> I see. I went ahead and removed the restriction to svn on $[12]
> expansion inside URL. Your case should work now.
>
> On another note, I just implemented a --status option for
> GetComponents. It outputs a list of changes that would be made to
> individual files by running GetComponents, using the status commands
> for cvs, svn, etc. Hopefully it will help people remember commits
> they may need to make in other areas of the source tree. Please let
> me know if you have any comments or issues with it.

That's an important tool.

I imagine a "diff" command complementing the "status" command, and
then an "apply" and a "commit" command as well.  "apply" may not be
necessary (if the patch command does the job), but "commit" would be
useful, ensuring nothing is forgotten.

This would be part of a larger system where people can prepare a patch
(including a commit message), and this patch can then be automatically
tested on various systems.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/