[Users] GetComponents and git-repos

Eric Seidel eric at eseidel.org
Fri Jun 11 16:09:07 CDT 2010

Hi Bruno and Erik,

>> I heard you are looking for a feedback on desirable features for
>> GetComponents, so I have one feature to report that I actually don't
>> like. I think the directory git-repos does break the logical
>> organization of arrangements and thorns. It would be desirable to
>> have all git-repos arrangements actually located in the arrangements
>> directory.

We decided to not clone the git-repos directly into arrangements because we generally only want a subset of the files from any given git-repo. This keeps the clutter in the arrangements directory to a minimum, and it's worked well so far, but I'm open to moving things around a bit if it will simplify the resulting source tree.

>> Another logical way of organizing the arrangements would
>> be to discriminate all of them by the type of repository their versions
>> are controlled. Something as follows:
>>
>> arrangements-cvs
>> arrangements-git
>> arrangements-svn
>> arrangements-hg
>> etc...

I'm not very keen on this layout, as it adds unnecessary directories. I'm not sure if it would cause issues with building Cactus, but that's something to consider.

> I think we don't need the distinction between git-repos and hg-repos etc.; instead, there could be a single directory "repos" that contains all those repositories that don't fit into the arrangement structure.  You could also place a README file into this directory, explaining in a few lines why this directory is there.
>
> We want to hide the distinction between different repository types as much as possible.

I think this might be a good solution. It simplifies the layout of the source tree and keeps clutter out of arrangements.

Any other thoughts?

Eric