[Users] GetComponents and git-repos

Bruno Coutinho Mundim bcmsma at astro.rit.edu
Fri Jun 11 16:24:15 CDT 2010

Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2010, at 15:46 , Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I heard you are looking for a feedback on desirable features for
>> GetComponents, so I have one feature to report that I actually don't
>> like. I think the directory git-repos does break the logical
>> organization of arrangements and thorns. It would be desirable to
>> have all git-repos arrangements actually located in the arrangements
>> directory. Another logical way of organizing the arrangements would
>> be to discriminate all of them by the type of repository their
>> versions
>> are controlled. Something as follows:
>>
>> arrangements-cvs
>> arrangements-git
>> arrangements-svn
>> arrangements-hg
>> etc...
>>
>> It may just be a matter of taste and I can live of that, but I thought
>> to bring this issue up and maybe more people agree on a neater way of
>> labeling the arrangement directories(y).
>

> Eric
>
> (Without answering to Bruno's suggestion)
>
> I think we don't need the distinction between git-repos and hg-repos
> etc.; instead, there could be a single directory "repos" that contains
> all those repositories that don't fit into the arrangement structure.
> You could also place a README file into this directory, explaining in
> a few lines why this directory is there.

This sounds as a good idea as well. However there should be some sort of
label or GetComponents directives to distinguish between these
repositories. For example, while carpet and krank wouldn't fit in the
usual arrangement/thorn organization, McLachlan would. Also there could
be private arrangements in git repositories that would fit the
arrangement structure too.

> We want to hide the distinction between different repository types as
> much as possible.

This seems fair to me, as long as it follows a straightforward logic
in the arrangement/thorn organization.

Bruno.