[Users] Changes to Multipole

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Jun 12 08:07:37 CDT 2010

Hi all,

Multipole is a thorn which provides mode decomposition of grid
functions into spherical harmonics, and it is part of the Einstein
Toolkit.  As the thorn is not yet widely used, and we are approaching
a release of the toolkit, I would like to clean up some aspects of the
API now before the release.  If there are no objections, I will make
these changes so that they can be tested as part of the release process.

Currently, Multipole has two modes of operation.  "all modes"  and
"specific mode" to determine whether a range of modes from l_min to
l_max are computed, or a single l, m mode.  Some parameters are shared
between these two methods, and this leads to confusion.  For example,
if you specify "all modes" (the default, and the one everyone will
need), then to specify the maximum l_mode you set l_mode = X.  You
also have to set m_mode otherwise you only get up to m = 2, even
though you are getting the higher l modes.  I don't think it is
necessary to have these two modes of operation, and propose to
simplify the interface so that all modes up to a given l_max are
computed, for all m.

Specifically:

Deprecate parameters mode_type, l_min, l_mode, m_mode.  Replace with a
single new parameter l_max.  All modes from l = 0 to l = l_max will be
computed.  If someone sets l_mode and not l_max, l_mode will be used
for l_max to keep backward compatibility for a while.

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de