[Users] Possible Patch for GetComponents

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Jun 20 15:41:02 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 01:53:49PM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> To avoid confusion which version of "the" stable version people
> are using, we should probably accumulate several patches in the
> stable branch before releasing the next version

I don't agree. It was my understanding that the stable branch can
see changes if they were considered to be important enough. Assuming
they are important enough to enter the stable branch I don't think it
is a good idea to delay them.

There are two practices we could compare the ET with. One are releases
of a typical program or library. Here each 'release' is a fixed blob of
code, never to be changed again. If changes are necessary to a
non-development branch there is still a new version number. The other
practice is analog to security updates of a collection of software, like
a linux distribution. As soon as an important (in this case
security-related) bug is found it is corrected and clients are urged to
update, keeping the version number the same.

I am leaning towards the second possibility: not delaying important
patches and updating directly the release branch. That is why it is a
branch, not a tag.

> Most people won't update their stable version once they have it.

Then we need to tell them to do it.

> For the time being, I would hold off committing any changes to the
> release branch until we've discussed this in more detail.  Eric,

Agreed. We will have to discuss at least two patches on Monday. I will
send details to the second in a separate email.

Frank