[Users] Getting started with the Einstein Toolkit

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 24 09:52:10 CDT 2010

We just discovered a few broken links on the Einstein Toolkit web site, in particular in the detailed description of the components of the toolkit.  I hope that they are now corrected -- please tell us if you find another broken link.

While the page <http://einsteintoolkit.org/toolkit/> lists all the components of the toolkit, it is somewhat impractical to piece things together from this list.  It is much easier to use the GetComponents script and our Einstein Toolkit Thornlist to download everything at once.  We have step-by-step instructions for this in our tutorial <http://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users>.  If you want to get started with the Einstein Toolkit, this is your easiest choice.

Note that the bottom 2/3 of that page are concerned with looking at simulation results of a TOV star, so the instructions for downloading, compiling, and running aren't actually that intimidating.  In fact, we are quite proud that they are much simpler than they used to be.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/