[Users] Problem compiling the Einstein Toolkit on Kraken

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue May 25 12:42:54 CDT 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 6:58 , Barry Wardell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to compile the Einstein Toollkit on Kraken and have
> encountered a problem with the AHFinder thorn. I looks to me like a
> compiler problem. The error message I get is:
>
> Preprocessing
> /nics/a/proj/cactus/barrywar/xt5/Cactus/arrangements/
> EinsteinAnalysis/AHFinder/src/AHFinder_pow.F
> Compiling
> /nics/a/proj/cactus/barrywar/xt5/Cactus/arrangements/
> EinsteinAnalysis/AHFinder/src/AHFinder_pow.F
> *** glibc detected *** /opt/pgi/9.0.4/linux86-64/9.0-4/bin/pgf902:
> realloc(): invalid next size: 0x00000000009f2e80 ***

Yes, this is a compiler problem.  The usual remedies are (in this
order):
0. Delete configuration, build again
1. use a different compiler version
2. use a different compiler
3. change optimisation flags
4. blindly rearrange source code a bit to see whether this changes
anything
5. remove thorn from thorn list
6. use a different machine

Round 0: Did you try this?  Sometimes there is a transmission error in
a file, or some other transient error that goes away if you try again.

Round 1: You could try using PGI 10.3, but when I tried this, I found
more compiler problems than with 9.0.4.  I'm attaching my option list
for 10.3 anyway.  I don't expect PGI to be interested in bug reports
against 9.0.4 that can't be reproduced with 10.3 any more.  PGI 10.4
should be available this month -- apparently PGI/Cray have a monthly
release cycle for compiler versions.

Round 2: GCC on Kraken creates much slower code than PGI.  I'm not too
fond of the PathScale compilers.

Round 3: I was fighting with PGI optimisation options yesterday, and
my new preferred optimisation options are now

	-O3 -Munroll=c:1 -Mscalarsse -Mcache_align -Mflushz

which leave out some of the options implied by -fastsse as well as the
-Mvect=assoc.  Do you want to try these?

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/