[Users] Phone Call Mon, Nov 8th

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Nov 7 22:37:45 CST 2010

Hi,

Bruno Mundim will chair next weeks phone call because I will be
traveling at that time. We do have a release to finish and I wouldn't
like to wait for another week for that to happen - besides I will be
traveling next week as well (but might be able to call in).

The call will, as usual, happen at 10am central US time (now winter
time). Details about how to connect are available at
http://einsteintoolkit.org/info/support/ .

The next release of the Einstein Toolkit will be the Nr. 1 item on the
agenda of the next call tomorrow. We should all try to concentrate for a
moment on the release, get it out of the door, to then be able to go on
with our usual great science without this on the back of our minds.

However, first we need to look at a few outstanding issues:

1) Testsuites
 A lot has been done over the course of last week, and I would like to
 thank all involved people. A few issues remain however:
  1a) Most AHFinderDirect testsuites fail on 2 processes. This is not
      new. This has been the same for last release. However, in contrast
      to some other thorns, AHFinderDirect is used by almost every
      group, in production simulations. We should really figure out what
      goes wrong here. Even more severe: preliminary tests suggest that
      this could be connected to the interpolator, which would make
      matters only worse if it turns out to be true.
  1b) Some GRHydro testsuites (especially involving ppm) fail on some
      machines. This is possibly simply connected to numerical errors.
      The deviations are small, while the default relative tolerance
      for con2prim is higher than that. Before cranking up the
      tolerances for the testsuites we should be sure about that though.
  1c) McLachlan testsuites fail on the (potentially) three largest
      machines: ranger, kraken and bluedrop, but pass everywhere else.
  1d) WeylScal4/teukolsky fails. The origin of this is known and simply
      a bug in the testsuite setup itself. Either we find time to
      correct this (is Roland still on it?), or we drop the testsuite.
 I ordered the list above by my personal feeling of importance. We could
 release with all of them unfixed (except 1d), since nothing of this is
 new, but I would really prefer otherwise.

 Please concentrate on the testsuites until Wednesday, so that we can
 prepare the release for the end of the week.

2) Bruno did some work on the web page and documentation and will
   probably report about the progress there.

3) The (short) release text is not yet on the wiki, but some of the
   details in the long text have been added. Please expand this with
   details of changes since the last release.

Frank Loeffler