[Users] Meeting minutes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:02:32 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Christian D. Ott
<cott at tapir.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> On 10/21/2010 01:48 PM, Bruno Giacomazzo wrote:
>> Hi, in the meeting minutes I was not able to find what are the
>> citations requested when using the GRHydro thorn. In a previous email
>> Frank listed only this reference:
>>
>> @Article{Baiotti:2010zf
>
> this was apparently a glitch. If I remember correctly, we decided
> in the call to limit the number of papers to one per component
> (the most relevant one), since otherwise things become a bit
> impractical.

We decided to have two "levels" of citations that people can
request/suggest for each thorn. Papers can either be "required", or
"suggested". For various reasons we don't want to or cannot enforce
anything, so we say "strongly suggest" instead of "required", but the
idea remains the same.

Ultimately, it will of course be up to the authors of each thorn to
decide what citations they expect. However, as Christian said, we
think it would be impractical if one required several papers for each
thorn, as this shouldn't turn into a way to fish for citations. We
expect that there is usually a single paper that best explains the
detailed physics and numerics behind a thorn, and this paper should be
cited.

For GRHydro, I expect this will be "the Whisky paper".

For a letter, where space is constrained, it may be acceptable to cite
only the Einstein Toolkit itself. This is one of the reasons we say
"strongly suggest" instead of "required".

We will have to see what to do and how to react to papers which don't
cite the numerical methods they use. In the end, I hope that our
community will acknowledge the work that goes into not only writing,
but also into testing and describing codes, by citing the papers that
do this. Personally, I'm writing polite emails to the author I know
best.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/