[Users] Questions re. CarpetRegrid2

Scott Hawley scott.hawley at belmont.edu
Wed Aug 10 11:01:02 CDT 2011

Awesome (mostly to your third answer).  Thanks Eric!

On Aug 10, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Erik Schnetter wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Scott Hawley <scott.hawley at belmont.edu<mailto:scott.hawley at belmont.edu>> wrote:

I have a few questions about CarpetRegrid2:

- In doc/,   the documentation.tex file, for me, just seems to be a bunch of headers with no text in them.  Am I missing something?

No... This thorn is probably just poorly documented.

- In param.cll, the variable min_distance is described as "Minimum distance (in grid points) between coarse and fine grid boundaries".  Which grid points are being counted -- the fine or the coarse ones?  I'm guessing it's the coarse.

Yes, these are coarse grid points. The coarse grid is extended by this
many points around the fine grid.

- Can CarpetRegrid2 be used to (easily) define a "hollow box", that is, a set of (6) slabs which are defined on some rectangular surface and only a certain number of points "thick"?

You can define 6 refined regions, one for each of the slabs. The
"location" of these regions would be the centres of the slabs, and you
would have to specify the respective thicknesses in each of the three
directions. If refined regions overlap, Carpet adjusts the regions
automatically -- these regions are sets (in the mathematical sense),
and having duplicate points thus doesn't matter.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu<mailto:schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/