[Users] simfactory: memory request?

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Aug 20 13:00:21 CDT 2011

On 14 Aug 2011, at 05:41, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> Scott
>
> No, simfactory does not know that. Given Cactus's dynamic schedule,
> and in particular given AMR, it is basically impossible to predict
> this.
>
> Simfactory does, however, know internally how much memory each system provides.

In my runs, the grid structure could be predicted based on the parameter file, as I don't regrid initially based on any computed data.  The memory usage is essentially constant within about 20% for the duration of the run.  I spend a lot of time trying different numbers of cores until the run fits, and it seem that this is something which could be estimated.  It would be very useful to be able to run Cactus on my workstation with a production parameter file, but have it not actually allocate the memory.  It could then tell me the total amount of memory that it would have allocated, and simfactory could use this to tell me how many cores to run on.  One could even imagine a future where this was done automatically, given a desired memory utilisation rate.  Is this really impossible with Carpet?  It that because of conceptual problems, or technical?  I think this would be a wonderful ability to have, and would save many people a large amount of time.