[Users] update new user guide for non-TeraGrid/XSEDE users?

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Aug 24 08:55:23 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 03:47:15PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
> Would it be useful for each thorn to declare in its configuration.ccl file whether it supports OpenMP or not?  Then at least Cactus could abort if you try to run a thorn which does not support OpenMP with more than one thread per process.

A simulation often contains a large number of thorns. Most of them don't
contain computationally intensive code. They don't need to be
parallelized with openmp, or at least it wouldn't be a big problem if
they were not. Instead of marking thorns as openmp-ready I would rather
mark thorns as "don't use with openmp". This then wouldn't even need to
be implemented in simfactory. The flesh has that information and can set
the corresponding openmp variables at startup, disregarding whatever the
environment specifies otherwise. If course, this mechanism would have to
have an off-switch as well, disregarding the information in the thorns
then.

Frank