[Users] highest output frequency for CarpetIOBasic?

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 1 10:31:40 CST 2011

Hello Bernard,

> Thanks, Roland. I'll have to check, but that sounds plausible: I sometimes
> am sloppy with my max_refinement_levels.
>
> Do you know why it uses "max_refinement_levels" instead of the actual
> instantaneous finest level? For simplicity, or consistency over time (in
> case a derefinement happens)? The effect is counter-intuitive to me.
It cannot use the current ("actual") largest refinement level in use
since you could decide to activate the dormant higher refinement level
later on in the run (eg. Christian does that for core collapse runs). At
the moment the new level becomes active the meaning of cctk_iteration
would change and all previous iteration numbers would have to be
multiplied by say two if you add one more level.
So yes, it is for consistency in case de- and refinement happens. It is
somewhat odd yes, that the iteration counter does not necessarily
increase by one from one step to the other (actually it does internally
to Carpet it is just that nothing is called on these levels [in
Evolve.cc] in particular you cannot have a global routine run more
frequent than the finest level).

PS I forgot to CC the list. Do you mind if I forward both emails?