[Users] Problem when checking out ET-dev

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Dec 20 04:06:17 CST 2011

On 20 Dec 2011, at 03:37, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55:52PM +0000, Ian Hinder wrote:
>> Should "-a" be the default?
>
> I think the idea is that GetComponents should ask the first time it
> encounters a new service for a user name or anonymous checkout. For some
> reason it doesn't do this here. The '-a' switch prevents this
> interactivity, which should make it easier for new users.

> We might not need to make -a the default, but should rather find out why
> it apparently didn't give the choice of authentication.

Wouldn't it be better for new users if they weren't exposed to this?  It's only relevant for a small number of users.  Having to answer an irrelevant question for a number of repositories when you first check out is a bit unfriendly.

How easy is it to switch between an authenticated and an anonymous checkout once the checkout has been completed?

Why do we need to have this distinction in the first place?  Can this be decided when you try to commit instead?

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder