[Users] Problem when checking out ET-dev

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Dec 20 11:04:37 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2011, at 03:37, Frank Loeffler wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55:52PM +0000, Ian Hinder wrote:
>
> Should "-a" be the default?
>

> I think the idea is that GetComponents should ask the first time it
> encounters a new service for a user name or anonymous checkout. For some
> reason it doesn't do this here. The '-a' switch prevents this
> interactivity, which should make it easier for new users.
>

> We might not need to make -a the default, but should rather find out why
> it apparently didn't give the choice of authentication.
>

> Wouldn't it be better for new users if they weren't exposed to this?  It's
> only relevant for a small number of users.  Having to answer an irrelevant
> question for a number of repositories when you first check out is a bit
> unfriendly.

There is no question if people use "-a" (and apparently if a bug in
GetComponents is corrected).

How easy is it to switch between an authenticated and an anonymous checkout
> once the checkout has been completed?

It basically requires "relocating" the repository.

Why do we need to have this distinction in the first place?  Can this be
> decided when you try to commit instead?

This would be a nice idea. Instead of anonymous and authenticated access we
specify the commands for read and write access, and whatever is required
under the hood becomes part of GetComponents.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/