[Users] Error in compiling einsteintoolkit on Mac

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Feb 8 10:07:27 CST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2011, at 18:19, Babiuc-Hamilton, Maria wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have errors in compiling einsteintoolkit.th on a mac:
>> First, it did not configure HDF5
>> Compiling einsteintoolkit
>> CST error 1:
>>  -> Configuration script for thorn HDF5 returned exit code 1
>>     Error message: 'Error while building HDF5. Aborting.'
>>
>> With external HDF5 directory, it complained
>> Use external hdf5 --error libsz.dylib needed
>>
>> With external HDF5_DIR and LIBSZ_DIR the error is:
>
> Hi Maria,
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  Did you also try to get HDF5 to build as part of Cactus, before trying the external directories?  If you omit the HDF5_DIR variable, and don't say HDF5=yes, then ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should attempt to build HDF5.  Do you get an error when it tries to build this?  If so, what is that error?  Do you have an up-to-date version of ExternalLibraries/HDF5?

By default, ExternalLibraries/HDF5 looks for an existing HDF5
installation and performs a few basic tests to see whether this
installation works. It does not check whether compiler versions etc.
match, so it is possible that it finds an incompatible HDF5. To ensure
that the HDF5 library is built, you have to say HDF5_DIR=BUILD.

Should we change this? The only disadvantage of building HDF5 is that
this takes time.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/