[Users] CarpetIOScalar: avoiding "reductions" for scalar variables

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 5 13:28:11 CST 2011

Hi all. This seems trivial, but ...

How do I avoid reductions (average, minimum, maximum, etc) for scalar output of a SCALAR variable in CarpetIOScalar?

CactusBase/IOBasic recognises the SCALAR type of the variable, and doesn't bother with reduction.

Carpet/CarpetIOScalar seems to ignore the type, and does the reductions. At least, it outputs several files with trivial information in them. I can force it to only generate one file by setting outscalar_reductions ="average" (for instance), but then I lose the reductions for all other (non-SCALAR) variables.

Thanks,

Bernard [working with the Chandrasekhar release of ETK]