[Users] CarpetIOScalar: avoiding "reductions" for scalar variables

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 5 15:52:24 CST 2011

Thanks, Erik.

I looked at CarpetIOASCII 0D before, but thought it couldn't be the right
thing, as it outputs many columns of meaningless information (I.e.,
columns 3 through 12 of the general IOASCII output, including levels,
coordinate indices, and coordinate values). The IOScalar output has the
advantage of being smaller & easier to read. Apart from the reduction
issue, it's not clear to me that it's a worse choice than IOASCII/0D.

Follow-on question, which applies to both thorns: I actually have three
scalar variables -- the components of a 3-vector. Ideally, I'd like to
output them in a single file. This works OK, as they're in a group, and
I've activated the "one_file_per_group" option.

But ... I actually have one of these scalar groups per apparent horizon.
Here's the declaration in my interface.ccl:

REAL test_scalars[num_horizons] TYPE=scalar
{
  test_x
  test_y
  test_z
} "Testing horizon scalar"

When I request scalar output of test_x[0], I get a file with test_x[0] in
its name.

When I request scalar output of the group test_scalars[0], I get a file
with test_scalars in its name -- no "[0]".

Do you know why the horizon index is dropped for group output? If I
request scalar output of the group test_scalars[0] -and- of
test_scalars[1], what will happen? This seems like a bug to me.

Bernard