[Users] [Einstein Toolkit] #446: 1D HDF5 output nonfunctional with multipatch - std::out_of_range

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Jun 6 06:13:14 CDT 2011

Roland

Not, it isn't! The dh class stores

  light_mboxes light_boxes;     // grid hierarchy [ml][rl][c]
  local_mboxes local_boxes;     // grid hierarchy [ml][rl][lc]
  fast_mboxes fast_boxes;       // grid hierarchy [ml][rl][p]

where the light boxes (light, little content) contain information
about every component (even remote ones), the local boxes contain
(much more) information about the process-local components, and the
fast boxes (misnomer) contain the (process-local relevant part of the)
communication schedule.

We could store also the per-level information. I assume it is much
smaller, since it contains information only about levels (and not
components):

  level_mboxes level_boxes; // grid hierarchy [ml][rl]

and then clear the data structure instead of declaring it in
dh::regrid, i.e. treat it similar to fast_mboxes instead of similar to
full_mboxes.

There is another data structure, full_mboxes, which contains all the
information you ever wanted to know about everything in the grid
hierarchy. However, this costs too much memory, and is therefore only
allocated temporarily for a single level, and is freed again right
after it has been used. This distinction between these different kinds
of information and not storing all of it is what makes hg Carpet
faster and use less memory.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/