[Users] Meeting minutes

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 13 14:31:14 CDT 2011

Meeting minutes:

Present were: Tanja, Roland, Erik, Frank, Josh, Christian, Yosef, Béla
Szilágyi, Maria Babiuc

CCE code:
* thorns will (did) appear today in
https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/incoming/ arrangement suggestions are
(as in in Frank's email):
    SphericalSlice -> CactusNumerical (analog SphericalSurface)
    new arrangement PITTNull (?) for CCE evolution code
    WorldTube -> PITTNull (CCE extraction thorn)
    ADMDerivatives -> EinsteinBase/EinsteinUtils (?)
* please look at thorns once they appear and start discussion on mailing
list
* agree that PITTNull is the correct thorn name (since PITT was used in
the papers)
* CCE evolution is done in a Cactus thorn that uses PUGH
* work cycle is to run the main simulation with an "interface" thorn
that writes out initial data for the characteristic evolution, then run
a postprocessing run using PUGH and the CCE thorn
* two (interface) thorns to initial extract data for CCE
** original extraction code used in 1011.4223 by Yosef (stand-alone ?)
*** tested with LazEv, currently being tested with McLachlan
** WorldTube by Christian Reisswig (requires extra infrastructure thorns)
*** tested with MacLachlan and the AEI multipatch code (Llama?)
* ask Christian Reisswig for short description of WorldTube, then decide
whether to
** keep only one thorn
** keep both thorns
** merge them
* requested citations for PITTNull are in README:
> If you use this code, then we request that you cite the following papers:
>
> Title: Characteristic Extraction Tool for Gravitational Waveforms
> Authors: M.C. Babiuc, B. Szilagyi, J. Winicour, Y. Zlochower
> arXiv:1011.4223
> submitted to Physical Review D
>
> Title: Cauchy-characteristic matching
> Authors: N. Bishop, R. Isaacson, R. Gomez, L. Lehner, B. Szilagyi, J. Winicour
> arXiv: gr-qc/9801070
> Appeared in "On the Black Hole Trail"
> eds. Bala Iyer and Biplab Bhawal (Kluwer)
* license still needs to be specified in README file

new infrastructure thorns:
* SphericalSlice: a mini driver operations on a sphere (IO, coordinates)
* ADMDerivatives: computes time and space derivatives of the ADM variables

* status of examples in ET paper:
** TOV runs still in queue on QueenBee
** high res single distorted black hole has not been completed
yet (there was quite a lot of waiting time on Kraken) but has made some
progress (end reworded quote)
* stellar collapse example: Christian will work on it

fall ET workshop:
* Josh will send around old proposal for workshop to be used as starting
point
* organizers will decide on preliminary budget and speaker list for
purposes of writing the skeleton proposal