[Users] ExternalLibraries/OpenSSL config on Mac 64

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 16 11:56:41 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:03:24AM -0700, Scott Hawley wrote:
> OpenSSL: Configuring...
> + cd openssl-1.0.0d
> + ./config --prefix=/Users/shawley/Cactus/configs/etk/scratch/external/OpenSSL
> Operating system: i686-apple-darwinDarwin Kernel Version 10.7.4: Mon Apr 18 21:24:17 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.14.12~3/RELEASE_X86_64
> WARNING! If you wish to build 64-bit library, then you have to
>          invoke './Configure darwin64-x86_64-cc' *manually*.
>          You have about 5 seconds to press Ctrl-C to abort.
> Configuring for darwin-i386-cc
> Configuring for darwin-i386-cc
>
> I want 64 bit.

Ok, these are two issues. The first is that apparently the config script
already figures out that the system is 64bit, but for some reason
insists on 32bit anyway unless explicitly specified. I don't consider
this to be a good practice, but there is already a patch, as you
mentioned:

> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/339

This patch only works together with this one, which you also mentioned:

> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/342

Ian - I cannot test this patch easily. However, 342 looks fine and 339
should only make sure not to error/warn if CCTK_POINTER_SIZE isn't
defined (wrap it in ""). I would apply both patches if either of you
agrees to test them soonish.

> So I tried setting
> OPENSSL_DIR = /usr
> in my options file, but it seems to have no effect.

This is the other, unrelated problem. It should have an effect, namely
it shouldn't even try to build OpenSSL within Cactus. Can you send the
log from the config-stage of Cactus? Of particular interest are lines
like

OpenSSL selected, but OPENSSL_DIR not set. Checking some places...
Building OpenSSL...

Be sure to do reconfigure your configuration with the new optionfile.

> Plus I imagine the patch has already been applied in today's version of ETK.

I believe it hasn't been applied yet.

Frank