[Users] ExternalLibraries/OpenSSL config on Mac 64

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jun 21 05:20:20 CDT 2011

On 16 Jun 2011, at 18:56, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:03:24AM -0700, Scott Hawley wrote:
>> OpenSSL: Configuring...
>> + cd openssl-1.0.0d
>> + ./config --prefix=/Users/shawley/Cactus/configs/etk/scratch/external/OpenSSL
>> Operating system: i686-apple-darwinDarwin Kernel Version 10.7.4: Mon Apr 18 21:24:17 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.14.12~3/RELEASE_X86_64
>> WARNING! If you wish to build 64-bit library, then you have to
>>         invoke './Configure darwin64-x86_64-cc' *manually*.
>>         You have about 5 seconds to press Ctrl-C to abort.
>> Configuring for darwin-i386-cc
>> Configuring for darwin-i386-cc
>>
>> I want 64 bit.
>
> Ok, these are two issues. The first is that apparently the config script
> already figures out that the system is 64bit, but for some reason
> insists on 32bit anyway unless explicitly specified. I don't consider
> this to be a good practice, but there is already a patch, as you
> mentioned:
>
>> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/339
>
> This patch only works together with this one, which you also mentioned:
>
>> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/342
>
> Ian - I cannot test this patch easily. However, 342 looks fine and 339
> should only make sure not to error/warn if CCTK_POINTER_SIZE isn't
> defined (wrap it in ""). I would apply both patches if either of you
> agrees to test them soonish.

The comments at the end of 339 indicate that I could not get it to work:

> I am attaching a patch to OpenSSL.sh which reads this variable, but I have no idea how to choose the architecture in the config process. The patch does not work - it seems there is a darwin-specific patch to the config file in the dist directory which I can't make head nor tail of. Perhaps you can take a look?

I think Erik wrote the darwin-specific patch.

>> So I tried setting
>> OPENSSL_DIR = /usr
>> in my options file, but it seems to have no effect.
>
> This is the other, unrelated problem. It should have an effect, namely
> it shouldn't even try to build OpenSSL within Cactus. Can you send the
> log from the config-stage of Cactus? Of particular interest are lines
> like
>
> OpenSSL selected, but OPENSSL_DIR not set. Checking some places...
> Building OpenSSL...
>
> Be sure to do reconfigure your configuration with the new optionfile.

- From the comments in the ticket, it looks like setting OPENSSL_DIR worked for me.  It might be that I was not using any thorns which actually needed OpenSSL, so simply setting the variable would stop the OpenSSL configuration script complaining, and the rest of the build would work correctly because openssl was not needed.

>> Plus I imagine the patch has already been applied in today's version of ETK.
>
> I believe it hasn't been applied yet.

Correct - 339 did not work even when I wrote it, as I indicated in the comments.  342 worked when I wrote it, so it just needs to be reviewed and then hopefully applied, but it won't solve any problem without a working implementation of 339.  I have just changed the status of the patch to "Review" (this status was not available when I opened the ticket).

- --
Ian Hinder
ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de