[Users] Negative timesteps with timestep_method="courant_speed" and terminate="time"

David Radice david.radice at aei.mpg.de
Thu Mar 3 09:15:15 CST 2011

Erik,

thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:55 -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> Are you using mesh refinement in these simulations? Carpet's time
> stepping algorithm doesn't support changing the time step size. (It is
> fine if you use unigrid.) If you do, this may explain your symptoms,
> because the different time levels on the different refinement levels
> would become seriously inconsistent.

I am using Carpet, but with unigrid. The timestepping is done with MoL,
RK3.

This issue disappears either by using a terminate condition based on the
number of iterations or by applying that patch. (I checked that
courant_wave_speed > 0).

David

--
David Radice
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics

Tel    : +49 331 567 7242
Fax    : +49 331 567 7499
Room   : 1.64
E-Mail : david.radice at aei.mpg.de