[Users] init_3_timelevels on Latest stable ET

Yosef Zlochower yosef at astro.rit.edu
Fri Nov 11 10:25:24 CST 2011

The problem appears to arise from an interaction of Carpet with
MoL. In particualr the MoL_OldStyleBoundaries mechanism. The routines
there modify cctkGH->cctk_delta_time. Carpet then modifies its tt
structure, leading to an incorrect evolution. The fix seems to be to
comment out the OldBdry schedule in MoL.

On 11/04/2011 07:05 AM, Yosef Zlochower wrote:
> Hi,
>     If I use the carpet::init_3_timelevels=yes I get the following
> error
> WARNING level 0 in thorn CarpetLib processor 0 host quasar.ccrg.rit.edu
>     (line 385 of
> /home/yosef/ET/Maxwell/Cactus/configs/lazev/build/CarpetLib/gdata.cc):
>     ->  Internal error: extrapolation in time.  variable=ADMBASE::alp
> time=1280  times=[2560,4955,2395]
> WARNING level 0 in thorn CarpetLib processor 0 host quasar.ccrg.rit.edu
>     (line 385 of
> /home/yosef/ET/Maxwell/Cactus/configs/lazev/build/CarpetLib/gdata.cc):
>     ->  Internal error: extrapolation in time.  variable=ADMBASE::alp
> time=1280  times=[2560,4955,2395]
>
> This error message did not occur when I ran with the previous
> stable ET version.
>

> Here is a short parfile with no physics thorns that displays
> the problem.
>
> #==============================================================================
>
> ActiveThorns = "admbase boundary coordgauge time cartgrid3d CoordBase
> Slab LocalReduce Carpet CarpetInterp CarpetLib CarpetReduce CarpetSlab
> CarpetRegrid2 InitBase SymBase LoopControl GSL IOUtil MoL"
>

> # Grid
>
> mol::ode_method                        = "RK4"
> mol::mol_intermediate_steps            = 4
> mol::mol_num_scratch_levels            = 1
>

> CoordBase::domainsize       = "minmax"
> CoordBase::xmin             = -400
> CoordBase::ymin             = -400
> CoordBase::zmin             = -400
> CoordBase::xmax             = 400
> CoordBase::ymax             = 400
> CoordBase::zmax             = 400
> CoordBase::spacing          = "numcells"
> CoordBase::ncells_x         = 20
> CoordBase::ncells_y         = 20
> CoordBase::ncells_z         = 20
> CartGrid3D::type            = "coordbase"
> CartGrid3D::domain          = "full"
>
> CoordBase::boundary_size_x_lower        = 1
> CoordBase::boundary_size_y_lower        = 1
> CoordBase::boundary_size_z_lower        = 1
>
> CoordBase::boundary_size_x_upper        = 1
> CoordBase::boundary_size_y_upper        = 1
> CoordBase::boundary_size_z_upper        = 1
>
> driver::ghost_size                        = 4
>
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> cactus::cctk_itlast                     = 2
>
> time::dtfac                        = 0.25
> Carpet::domain_from_coordbase       = yes
> Carpet::prolongation_order_space   = 5
> Carpet::prolongation_order_time    = 2
> Carpet::max_refinement_levels      = 9
> Carpet::use_buffer_zones = yes
>
> Carpet::init_3_timelevels = "yes"
>

> CarpetRegrid2::regrid_every = 32
>
> CarpetRegrid2::num_centres = 1
>
> CarpetRegrid2::num_levels_1 = 6
> CarpetRegrid2::position_x_1 = 0
> CarpetRegrid2::position_y_1 = 0
> CarpetRegrid2::position_z_1 = 0
> CarpetRegrid2::radius_1[ 1] = 200
> CarpetRegrid2::radius_1[ 2] = 100
> CarpetRegrid2::radius_1[ 3] = 50
> CarpetRegrid2::radius_1[ 4] = 25
> [...]

Dr. Yosef Zlochower
Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation
Assistant Professor
School of Mathematical Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623

Office:74-2067
Phone: +1 585-475-6103

yosef at astro.rit.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
information.